South Kingstown High School Rebel Way
SouthKingstown High School is proud to be a safe and respectful community oflearners that recognizes and encourages the talents and potential ofevery student. We are committed to a rigorous curriculum that fostersand develops identified academic, civic and social skills. The 21stcentury Rebel is an independent, critical thinker who effectivelyparticipates in our diverse community.
Webelieve students learn best, first and foremost, when they assumeresponsibility for their own learning. It is incumbent upon thelearning community to support them by providing the following:
- clearly communicated expectations
- varied support structures for all learners
- authentic learning opportunities both in and out of school
- Instruction that meets all students’ needs
- 21st century learning tools
- opportunities to employ critical thinking skills
- timely and constructive feedback
- teachers who are knowledgeable in content and method
- a positive, safe and supportive environment
- multiple opportunities to engage parents
South Kingstown High School Counseling Department Mission Statement
Theschool counselors are committed to providing a comprehensive schoolcounseling program centered on an engaging curriculum that encouragesthe highest level of student achievement in the areas of academic,career and personal/social development for all students.
South Kingstown High School Counseling Department Philosophy
1. The counseling program will serve all students and will involve the entire school community.
2. The counseling program will be developmental and proactive.
3. The counseling program will be managed and delivered by the director of guidance/counseling and certified counselors.
4.The counseling program shall be governed by participatory concepts andpractices with the responsibility for monitoring students' progressshared by the school and home.
5. The counseling program will be evaluated on stated goals and student competencies.
6. Counselor competencies will be maintained through on going professional development activities.
7.The professional mandates and ethical guidelines promoted by the RhodeIsland School Counselor Association and the American School CounselorAssociation will be followed.